John and Craig welcome Franklin Leonard to weigh in on the current definition of “movie.” In the age of streaming, this distinction is not only important for audiences and awards, but has a meaningful effect on how writers are paid.
We also take umbrage with Awards Season as a Hollywood fixture, and follow up on a five year-old prediction about iPads in movie theaters.
- Scriptnotes, Episode 108: Are two screens better than one? addresses the fear of iPads in theaters
- Become a premium subscriber in time for our bonus Q&A episode. Submit your questions here.
- Show Us Your Room and the Instagram hashtag
- Rusty Lake’s new game, Paradox, with video of actual people
- Roma, written and directed by Alfonso Cuarón
- Inneresting, a new John August newsletter. You can subscribe here.
- T-shirts are available here! We’ve got new designs, including Colored Revisions, Karateka, and Highland2.
- The USB drives!
- Franklin Leonard on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Find past episodes
- Scriptnotes Digital Seasons are also now available!
- Outro by Matthew Chilelli (send us yours!).
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 9-28-18: The transcript of this episode can be found here.