John and Craig cover endings, both for craft and for business. First they articulate the importance of the denouement and the social contract it fulfills with the audience. Then they discuss what happens to a writer’s work after their death.
We also follow up on pitching, and introduce a new segment: Change Craig’s Mind. This week: Ventriloquists!
- You can listen to John & Craig on another podcast: Jordan, Jesse, Go!
- You can check out our episode with Mindy Kaling, or our episode with Susanna Fogel and David Iserson for some context in this week’s follow-up.
- John’s attempt at “Changing Craig’s Mind” about ventriloquism: Nina Conti
- Edward Albee’s estate has special rules about casting for Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf.
- Erin Gibson: Throwing Shade podcast, Gay of Thrones, and her new book, Feminasty: The Complicated Woman’s Guide to Surviving the Patriarchy Without Drinking Herself to Death.
- Phoebe Waller-Bridge: Killing Eve, Fleabag, and she’s the robot, L3-37, in Solo
- The Witcher 3: Blood And Wine DLC
- The USB drives!
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Find past episodes
- Scriptnotes Digital Seasons are also now available!
- Outro by Rajesh Naroth (send us yours!). And thank you, Luke Davis, for Craig’s musical intro!
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 9-12-18: The transcript of this episode can be found here.