John and Craig discuss the other stuff screenwriters write, from beat sheets to scriptments and everything in between. The differences are sometimes subtle, but each can have value — in the right circumstance.
After that, they dip into the mailbag (24:23) for questions on TV bibles, writing while traveling, and using “I” in titles.
Premium subscribers: stick around for a bonus segment (47:31) on the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator and how its questions may be useful to screenwriters.
- John will be part of the Beyond Bars: Changing the Narrative on Criminal Justice panel on February 26th
- Contact email@example.com for information on Highland 2 for students and educators
- Outlines and treatments on screenwriting.io, and some examples in the johnaugust.com library
- Scriptnotes, episodes 436, 434, and 432
- Reddit’s r/imsorryjon
- Scott Silver on IMDb and Wikipedia
- The Myers–Briggs Type Indicator on Wikipedia and an online test
- The Big Five personality traits
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by James Llonch (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 2-21-2020 The transcript for this episode can be found here.