John and Craig discuss a doppelgänger murder, the true life of a Hollywood rebel, an unexpected roadtrip, and more in this week’s installment of How Would This Be A Movie, where we analyze how stories in the news would translate onscreen.
We also follow up on Chat GPT, Celebrity Jeopardy, and writing in other people’s voices. We then answer an embarrassed listener’s question on unfavorable movie reviews.
In our bonus segment for premium members, we discuss overpowered characters in D&D and how character strengths factor into our own writing.
- ‘Doppelganger murder’: Woman accused of killing Instagram lookalike in plot to fake her own death By Andy Eckardt and Aina J. Khan for NBC
- The Godfather, Saudi-Style by Anuj Chopra for the Guardian
- The Last Days of Nikki Finke by Jacob Bernstein for the NYT
- The Nun and the Monk who fell in Love and Married by Aleem Maqbool for BBC
- 13 stranded strangers went on a road trip. Here’s what happened by Francesca Street for CNN
- ‘Nothing, Forever’ Is An Endless ‘Seinfeld’ Episode Generated by AI by Chloe Xiang for Vice
- Manta Sleep Mask
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Check out the Inneresting Newsletter
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- John on Mastodon
- Outro by Timothy Lenko (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 3-16-23 The transcript for this episode can now be found here.