John and Craig invite Wendy Calhoun (Station 19, Empire), Phil Hay (The Invitation, Ride Along), Nicole Perlman (Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel), and Jason Fuchs (Wonder Woman, Ice Age: Continental Drift) to join them onstage for a discussion about the death of the writing middle class, why we get bored during a film or episode of television, and the consequences of handing over unpaid writing.
We also play a game called “Why is Craig So Mad?”
Recorded live from the Driskill Ballroom at the 2018 Austin Film Festival. Thanks to the Austin Film Festival for hosting us, and to a great audience!
- Thanks for joining us, Wendy Calhoun, Phil Hay, Nicole Perlman, and Jason Fuchs!
- And thank you, Beto, for the message! Check out the video from the audience.
- The Death of Hollywood’s Middle Class by Nicole Laporte for Fast Company
- This tweet by Nicola Prigg
- Keep an eye on Weekend Read for screenplays this awards season.
- T-shirts are available here! We’ve got new designs, including Colored Revisions, Karateka, and Highland2.
- The USB drives!
- Wendy Calhoun on Twitter
- Phil Hay on Twitter
- Nicole Perlman on Twitter
- Jason Fuchs on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Find past episodes
- Scriptnotes Digital Seasons are also now available!
- Outro by Matthew Chilelli (send us yours!)
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 11-8-18: The transcript of this episode can be found here.