John and Craig step up to the whiteboard to look at the story logic in our scripts, then examine how tricks and gimmicks can help keep scenes interesting.
We also answer listener questions about paying experts for research help, and whether hiring a writing consultant ever makes sense.
- Get your tickets now for the July 25th Scriptnotes Live Homecoming Show, with guests Liz Meriwether, Megan Amram and more!
- Julie Buxbaum’s What to Say Next on Amazon
- Fridge logic on TV Tropes
- John on The perils of coincidence
- The Fargo TV series makes a religion of coincidence
- Gimmickry used in Kill Bill with split screens and animation, in (500) Days of Summer with musical numbers and alternate timelines, when talking to the dead in Iron Lady, when Love and Death becomes a silent film, and when flashbacks become childhood in The Hangover 2
- Go and The Nines on Amazon Video
- The LA Metro System
- Hyperloop One and its successful first test
- The Scriptnotes Listeners’ Guide!
- The USB drives!
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Find past episodes
- Outro by Rajesh Naroth (send us yours!)
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.