Taffy Brodesser-Akner joins us to discuss her journey adapting her bestselling novel “Fleishman Is in Trouble” into an acclaimed limited series. We chat about drawing inspiration from the familiar, learning how manage others, and presenting multiple sides to a story.
We also answer listener questions about naming characters, decorative dialogue, and the renaissance of the television half-hour.
In our bonus segment for premium members, we dig into the art and structure of the celebrity profile, a genre in which Taffy is herself an expert.
- Fleishman Is in Trouble on Hulu, and the book
- Taffy’s GQ Celebrity Profiles
- This Film Does Not Exist By Frank Pavich for NYT, Tron reimagined by AI in the style of Jodorowsky’s Dune, images by Midjourney
- This Voice Doesn’t Exist – Generative Voice AI
- VALL-E Neural Codec Language Models are Zero-Shot Text to Speech Synthesizers
- Vintage Contemporaries by Dan Kois
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Check out the Inneresting Newsletter
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- Taffy Brodesser-Akner on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Ryan Gerberding (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 2-21-23 The transcript for this episode can be found here.