John and Craig review three new Three Page Challenge entries with the help of Lindsay Doran (producer of Stranger Than Fiction, Sense and Sensibility, Nanny McPhee, Dead Again) and Jewerl Ross (manager and founder of Silent R Management). They then invite the writers up to discuss the notes, including the importance of geography, setting up relationships, and the danger in feeding kittens to sharks.
We also answer listener questions about “emotional math,” breaking rules, the evolution of screenwriting and trying to be clever, but failing.
Thanks to the Austin Film Festival for hosting us and to our brave participants!
- Tickets are on sale for the Holiday Live Show!
- Thank you for joining us, Lindsay Doran and Jewerl Ross!
- Lindsay Doran’s Ted Talk is also great.
- The Three Pages
- On Writing Well by William Zinsser
- T-shirts are available here! We’ve got new designs, including Colored Revisions, Karateka, and Highland2.
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Find past episodes
- Scriptnotes Digital Seasons are also now available!
- Outro by Matthew Chilelli (send us yours!)
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 11-28-18: The transcript of this episode can be found here.