John and Craig discuss the dangers of leave-behinds. The “writing before the writing” is an important part of the craft, but giving it away for free is bad for everyone.
We also answer a listener question about character wants versus needs, and why that distinction has become such a guru staple.
- Hope to see you this weekend at the Austin Film Festival! You can also catch John at the Texas Book Festival and the Boulder Book Store Event
- No Writing Left Behind
- The Confidence Gap by Claire Shipman, Katty Kay and JillEllyn Riley for The New York Times
- Youtube TV
- T-shirts are available here! We’ve got new designs, including Colored Revisions, Karateka, and Highland2.
- The USB drives!
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Find past episodes
- Scriptnotes Digital Seasons are also now available!
- Outro by Luke Brown (send us yours!)
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 10-25-2018 The transcript for this episode can now be found here.