Craig and John open the overflowing listener mailbag to tackle questions on everything from montages to life rights to passive heroes. Plus, we have a definitive answer on whether to number minor characters. (Don’t.)
We also finally address a major controversy: Craig’s missing cover of “Killing the Blues” from Episode 109. It exists, and you can listen to it today.
The Scriptnotes 2017 Holiday Live Show will be December 7th in Hollywood. Mark your calendars! Tickets available soon.
- Tickets available for the Holiday Live Show now!
- Team America: World Police’s defense of “Montage”
- NOLO’s Getting Permission: Using & Licensing Copyright-Protected Materials Online & Off, a handy legal guide for rights and rights purchases.
- Cosmo Kramer, from Seinfeld, is based on Kenny Kramer, who sued a writer for defamation
- James Bond and the Berne Convention
- Trademark, Copyright, and a snazzy video on the difference between them from the USPTO.
- The Copyright Term Extension Act, AKA the Sonny Bono Act, AKA the Mickey Mouse Protection Act.
- Charles Dickens’ struggle with piracy in the US is illuminated in Fifty Inventions that Shaped the Modern World by Tim Harford.
- Go’s character, Spider Marine, comes from John’s mishearing the Smashing Pumpkins lyric “despite all my rage.”
- Craig’s cover of “Killing the Blues,” by Rowland Salley.
- The South Park video game, South Park: The Fractured but Whole (a sequel to The Stick of Truth) *all possible trigger warnings apply
- The Adelante Shoe Co. makes shoes for the discerning global citizen.
- Next week’s episode is the 2017 Austin Live Three Page Challenge — you can check out the pages here or on Weekend Read.
- Matthew Chilelli’s video about his definitely-not-haunted apartment in Japan
- The Scriptnotes Listeners’ Guide!
- The USB drives!
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Find past episodes
- Outro by Rowland Salley, performed by Craig Mazin (send us yours!)
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 11-20-17: The transcript of this episode can be found here.