John and Craig host another round of the Three Page Challenge, selecting three listeners’ scripts for feedback on what’s working and common pitfalls to avoid. They offer insights into the tricky issues when cheating movement, formatting non-English dialogue, and the importance of logic in comedy.
But first, we answer some long-gestating listener questions: What are strategies for writers to option IP on their own? Can you use your smart relative for dialogue? And how do you discuss co-creators of projects when meeting with a potential rep?
In our bonus segment for premium members, John and Craig gloat about all the things they can get away with never having to do — everything from calculus to remembering their children’s phone numbers.
- Weekend Read 2
- SKULDUGGERY by Matthew W. Davis (with bonus puzzle map,) SCRAP by Tertius Kapp, and ANOTHER LIFE by Sarah Hu
- The illusion of moral decline by Adam Mastroianni
- No, No, Nanette: Hannah Gadsby, Trauma, and Comedy as Emotional Manipulation by Yasmin Nair
- The Best Podcasts of 2023 (So Far) by Nicholas Quah for Vulture
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Check out the Inneresting Newsletter
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- Craig Mazin on Instagram
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- John on Mastodon
- Outro by Jon Spurney (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Drew Marquardt and edited by Matthew Chilelli. Our intern is Halley Lamberson.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 7-26-23: The transcript for this episode can be found here.