It’s been a while in coming, but I finally converted johnaugust.com over from Movable Type to WordPress, and redesigned a few things along the way. Well, okay; I redesigned pretty much everything. For people who are used to the old tabs-across-the-top layout, it may take a little while to get used to, but trust me, everything people actually used at the old site is now here, or will be shortly.
A few helpful hints on the new structure:
- Clicking anywhere on the header, or the big brass brad, will always take you back to the front page.
- Try the Archives. It creates a list of all entries, sorted by date, name or category. Very useful.
- The search now actually works. It will pull up full entries, combining them into pages of up to seven items.
- Instead of distinct sections for “Projects,” “Resources,” and “First Person,” these articles will be folded into the main content. If you want to see just the Projects, click on the button in the “Show by Category” section.
- Depending on how hard I get hit with comment spam, I may decide to turn on comment moderation. If so, comments on articles won’t show up until I approve them. I’ll warn you if I have to do this.
The old site was held together with duct tape and prayer, so the switch was necessary if a bit painful. Most things should be working now, but expect a few broken links and missing images. There’s a customized 404 page (“Sorry, I couldn’t find that.”). If you come across it while going through the site, I’d appreciate a note (you can leave a comment on this post) letting me know what took you there.