John and Craig talk about where to start a story — how far back should you go? The decision about whether to meet the hero as a child, in their normal rut, or mid-crisis fundamentally changes the narrative, so it’s worth exploring fully.
We also discuss the psychological phenomenon of transference, and how writers’ desire for approval can lead to strange (and strained) relationships with executives and other authority figures. Finally, the Sony hack: was it a one-off, or will this be the first of many?
There are still a few tickets left for Thursday’s live Holiday show. Tickets available through the link below.
- Get your tickets now for the Scriptnotes Holiday Show
- The application period for the 2015 Sundance Episodic Story Lab starts tomorrow
- re/code on the “Unprecedented” Sony hack
- Transference on Wikipedia
- Google ReCAPTCHA from Wired
- Endless Alphabet on the iTunes Store
- Outro by Scriptnotes listener Kris Gotthelf (send us yours!)
UPDATE 12-15-14: The transcript of this episode can be found here.