John and Craig discuss the craft of leading a creative life: What counts as practice? How do you make friends? When is it okay to take a break?
A Scriptnotes listener suggested a lifestyle compendium episode, so we reach back through the archives to explore the artist’s soft skills. We touch on the dangers of self care, the importance of staying curious, and how to cultivate a workplace when you’re working alone.
In our bonus segment for premium members, we invite listener Jake Kelley on to explain why he chose these clips and how Scriptnotes has influenced his visual art practice.
- Episode 6: How Kids Become Screenwriters
- Episode 119: Positive Moviegoing
- Episode 425: Tough Love vs. Self Care
- Episode 439: How to Grow Old as a Writer
- Sign up for Scriptnotes Premium to listen to all the episodes in our back catalogue, including the ones sampled here.
- Thanks to Jake Kelley for the episode suggestion!
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- Aline Brosh McKenna on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Christiaan Mentz (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao (with segments by Stuart Friedel, Godwin Jabangwe, and Megan Mcdonnell!) and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 3-22-23 The transcript for this episode can be found here.