John and Craig discuss the concept of free will, specifically how it relates to fictional characters. They outline the tightrope screenwriters walk balancing characters with agency against obstacles that feel true.
We also talk about decisions screenwriters face in their careers and why it’s okay (and difficult) to change paths. We answer listener questions about optioned scripts and child screenwriting prodigies.
Finally, in our bonus segment for premium members we discuss AP exams. Warning: Craig has umbrage.
- The Scriptnotes Index
- Scriptnotes Guest List
- Help us update the Scriptnotes Wikipedia page
- Seth Rogan on Productivity
- The clockwork universe: is free will an illusion? by Oliver Burkeman
- Hacks with Jean Smart on HBO Max
- Girls 5eva on Peacock
- Horses are pretty because horses are pretty sketch on child-director prodigy
- Deepl Translator
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Matthew Chilelli (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.