John and Craig discuss when writers should practice tough love vs. self-care. Inspired by Chuck Wendig’s blog post, they examine how real-world issues impact writers’ ability to get work done — but how they can also be used as an excuse for procrastination and laziness. They offer a checklist for helping decide whether it’s time to be harder or easier on yourself.
We also follow up on the Austin Film Festival, fan backlash, and show-runner tips for championing assistant pay, especially during the holiday season.
- The Official Watchmen Podcast with Craig Mazin
- Susannah Grant on Creative Decisions behind Unbelievable Release
- Michael Greene Holiday Bonus Twitter Thread
- Tough Love vs. Self Care:Sharp Rock, Soft Pillow: The Balance Of Self-Care And Tough Love
- Chuck Wendig: Terrible Minds
- One Page Dungeon by watabou
- Superhero Therapy
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Matthew Chilelli (send us yours!)
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 11-8-2019 The transcript for this episode can be found here.