John and Craig look at the new fall shows and how little kids become screenwriters, with discussion of D&D, Malcolm Gladwell and daisy-wheel printers.
For this installment, I wanted to focus on how people become screenwriters. Not “how to” — there are countless terrible books on that. Rather, what is it that calls people to such an atypical career, one that you can’t necessarily practice as a child or learn all at once in college?
- ABC’s Once Upon a Time
- NBC’s Grimm
- CW’s Ringer and its non-credible boat scene
- Fox’s New Girl
- Dungeons and Dragons, 4th Edition
- John Rogers’s great D&D comics
- The Marvel Super Heroes RPG
- Daisy wheel printers
- Intro: NBC Fall Promo, 1980
- Outro: Russian Unicorn by BLS
You can download the episode here: AAC.
UPDATE 10-11-11: The transcript of this episode can be found here.