John and Craig welcome the new year by discussing the art of transitions. They go beyond screenplay-specific terms to examine the psychology of moving through story beats.
We cover the history of screenplays, the different ways to think about a scene, and how to create a punchline for each scene.
In our bonus segment for premium members, we talk about transitioning out of conversations in person and on the phone.
- Blog post on Transitions
- Scriptnotes Episode, 446: Back to Basics at 03:57 of this episode
- Scriptnotes Episode, 493: Opening Scenes at 26:06 of this episode
- Scriptnotes Episode, 89: Writing Effective Transitions at 44:12 of this episode
- A Trip to the Moon the 1902 Science Fiction Film by Georges Méliès
- The Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy
- Ron’s Gone Wrong
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Henry Adler (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao, (with a segment produced by Stuart Friedel!) and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.