John and Craig take a step back to discuss what screenwriting actually is and explore its evolution. They cover the history of screenwriting, the construction of a scene, and what new and old writers need to keep in mind about the craft.
We also cover how to approach ‘No Writing Left Behind’ during the time of socially distancing and answer listener questions on how the pandemic will impact writers’ creative and career decisions.
And in our bonus segment for premium members, we discuss charities looking at both the challenges of running a charitable organization and knowing where to donate your money.
- Scriptnotes Set Up
- John’s Writing Set Up
- Check out our Livestream Episodes
- No Writing Left Behind, Just Say No
- State Copyright Laws Blackbeard
- Scriptnotes, Ep 89: Writing Effective Transitions
- Sign up for Scriptnotes Premium here.
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Scott Anderson (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 4-21-2020 The transcript for this episode can now be found here.