John and Craig investigate the cyclical relationship between secrets and lies. They discuss character motivations for lying and how the tension of a secret can hold a story together. To illustrate the discussion, John invites Craig to solve our first-ever How Would This Be a Movie mystery, the Case of the Fatherless Child.
We also talk about the dreaded “why now?” note, the questionable wisdom of “you either have it or you don’t,” and whether we are team PRE-LAP.
Finally in the bonus segment for premium members, we discuss travel and our plans post-pandemic.
- Download Weekend Read to read the ‘Awards 2021’ scripts
- Lying: Moral Choices in Public and Private Life by Sissela Bok
- Julie Plec on Twitter
- Kitty Letter Game
- Inked Game
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Daniel Green (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 3-11-21 The transcript for this episode can now be found here.