John and Craig discuss what comes after you land a movie deal–writing the script by a certain date. They offer tips, strategies, and calculations for budgeting time to deliver a draft.
We also consider the statute of limitations on spoiler warnings and follow up on child prodigies, movie theaters and free will. Our listener questions this week include POV in a two hander and how to get out of a nightmare development trap.
Finally, in our bonus segment for premium members John and Craig share their views on UFOs and extraterrestrial life. Spoiler: it’s all a simulation.
- Alamo Drafthouse out of Bankruptcy
- Speculation that AMC may buy our beloved Arclight
- Warner Brothers Discovery Logo
- CAA Sells wiip
- Screen Compensation Guide for Streaming Services
- Screen Deal Tips
- 32 year old passes for 19 for TV contract
- Jacob Kaplan-Moss on estimating software development
- Bo Burnham’s Inside
- Jack Plotnick’s Disney Made a Tiki Room
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Eric Pearson (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 6-11-21 The transcript for this episode can now be found here.