John and Craig welcome back writer-producer Aline Brosh McKenna (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, The Devil Wears Prada), who brings a basket of topics for the guys to unpack. They discuss the best way to give notes as a producer/boss and why Hollywood only takes serious genres seriously.
We follow up on female figures in ethical conflicts, bad bosses, and specifying race in character descriptions. We also get an update from Oops on dealing with the onset of an on-set crush.
Finally in our bonus segment for premium members, Aline shares what her 23 and Me uncovered about her relationship to Craig!
- Arclight Cinemas and Pacific Theatres Announce Won’t be Reopening
- Final Draft 12 adds the ability to import PDFs! Download Highland 2 here for free
- Check out the Highland 2 Student License here for professors and students
- David Graham-Caso Thread on his brother’s experience working for Scott Rudin
- “These Puzzles Fund Abortion” via Rachel Fabi
- Embrace the Grind post by Jacob Kaplan-Moss
- Writer Emergency Pack kickstarter — 8,000 decks to send out
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Peter Hoopes (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.