John and Craig tackle the growing mailbag to answer listener questions on writing uncomfortable scenes, options vs. sales, and portraying internet stories on screen.
We also follow up on screenwriting structure and address what’s missing in text messages on television.
Finally in our bonus segment for premium members, we offer advice on living in small towns versus big cities.
- TV Characters Don’t Have Text History. This Is Not OK by Zak Jason
- John’s post on feature residuals
- Chris Lee for Vulture, on the GameStop projects in development
- Overnight Documentary
- Why Computers Will Never Write Good Novels by Angus Fletcher
- Negaoryx Twitter Response to Trolls and for reference Schrödinger’s Douchebag
- Sarah Silverman Twitter Troll
- Special thanks to Bo Shim!
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Nora Beyer (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 2-26-21 The transcript for this episode can now be found here.