John and Craig discuss the importance and basics of developing relationships in storytelling. Characters are nothing without relationships, like Woody without Buzz, Shrek without Donkey, John without Craig…
We then test these ideas about relationships against a fresh set of Three Page Challenges.
- Arlo Finch covers look different around the world. You can catch John at the San Diego Festival of Books on August 25, at the Orange Public Library Comic-Con on September 22, at the Texas Book Festival on October 25th, or in Frankfurt, Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen in early October.
- The Austin Film Festival is also coming up on October 25th.
- In a musical, the relationship can be with the audience, like in Shrek: The Musical’s “Big Bright Beautiful World” or Fiddler on the Roof’s “If I Were a Rich Man” — as opposed to the movie version.
- Three pages by Jonathan Brown
- Three pages by Paul Acampora & Erin Dionne
- Three pages by Mathieu Ghekiere
- You can submit for the three page challenge here.
- Images of America Book Series
- Larchmont by Patricia Lombard
- African-Americans in Los Angeles by Karin L. Stanford
- Lindsay Doran’s Ted Talk – Saving the World vs. Kissing the Girl
- The Scriptnotes Listeners’ Guide!
- The USB drives!
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Find past episodes
- Scriptnotes Digital Seasons are also now available!
- Outro by Michael O’Konis (send us yours!)
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 7-31-18: The transcript of this episode can be found here.