John talks with Rachel Bloom and Aline Brosh McKenna, co-creators of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, about how they pitched and wrote their critically-acclaimed show.
We focus on the ways they introduced recurring characters in the pilot, and how casting influenced the series. Given recent controversy over casting of Asian roles, our discussion of the Josh Chan character feels particularly relevant.
This episode was recorded live as part of WGFestival 2016 Craft Day. Our thanks to the Writers Guild Foundation and The Academy for hosting us.
John deeply regrets passing up the opportunity to sing the West Covina reprise.
(The script for the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend pilot is available in Weekend Read.)
- The Writers Guild Foundation
- Aline Brosh McKenna on episodes 60, 76, 100, 101, 119, 123, 124 152, 161, 175, 180, 200, 219, 231 and 242
- Rachel Bloom and on IMDb and YouTube
- Aline and Rachel on Scriptnotes, 175: Twelve Days of Scriptnotes
- Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on CWTV.com
- Follow along at johnaugust.com/crazy or on Weekend Read
- West Covina from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
- Outro by Matthew Chilelli (send us yours!)
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 5-13-16: The transcript of this episode can be found here.