Craig and John welcome special guests Aline Brosh McKenna, Rachel Bloom, B.J. Novak, Jane Espenson and Derek Haas to talk about writing books, movies and especially television.
Aline and Rachel just finished shooting a pilot called Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. We discuss the genesis of the project, and how sexism is just stupid.
B.J. tells us about the joy of reading Inglorious Basterds, and how the key to success is apparently editing your high school newspaper.
Jane and Derek teach us what really goes on in the writers room, from secret lingo to codes of silence.
Plus there are songs!
Recorded with a live audience at LA Film School as a benefit for the Writers Guild Foundation. Huge thanks to everyone who came and supported the show.
- The Writers Guild Foundation
- Aline Brosh McKenna on episodes 60, 76, 100, 101, 119, 123, 124 152, and 161
- For Universal Pictures, Zero Blockbusters Equals Record Profits on Forbes
- Showtime Nabs Comedy With Musical Elements From Aline Brosh McKenna on Deadline
- Rachel Bloom and on IMDb and YouTube
- B.J. Novak and on IMDb
- The Book With No Pictures and One More Thing, both by B.J. Novak
- Jane Espenson and on IMDb
- Derek Haas and on IMDb and episode 83
- Aaron Sorkin sad that Newsroom writer’s objection to rape plot violated his privacy on A.V. Club
- Intro by Scriptnotes editor Matthew Chilelli (send us yours!)
UPDATE 12-19-14: The transcript of this episode can be found here.