John welcomes back writer/producer Kelly Marcel (Venom, Cruella) for an action-packed episode. They break down a scene on the page, and then Kelly walks John through how she adapts and rewrites scenes in real time on set.
We also discuss writing scripts with a star and why you should always cast your movies before writing them (at least in your mind). We follow up on day-and-date releases, taking a look at this year’s box office and streaming numbers.
In our bonus segment for premium members, we discuss dealing with visas as an international writer and the struggle of proving “exceptional ability.”
- Original Movies Are Becoming Streaming’s Most Popular Content, Led By Disney+ by Kevin Tran for Variety
- Foreign Writers on Getting a Visa
- Venom Excerpt
- Meet the Ipsums
- Loóna Sleep App
- Kelly Marcel and on Twitter
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt, check out our special 10th Anniversary Shirts!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Michael O’Konis (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 8-27-21 The transcript for this episode can now be found here.