John and Craig welcome Daley Haggar and Dara Resnik to examine the potential impacts of the Harvey Weinstein revelations on Hollywood.
What should have been done? And what should happen next to foster a safer, saner and more inclusive industry culture?
We also explore gender dynamics in a television writers room, discuss ways to address power imbalances and learn what it means to dial something in on the “Penis Phone.”
- Scriptnotes T-shirts are here! We’ve got Classic (in light and dark mode), the Umbrage Strikes Back, and Umbrage & Reason.
- We’ll be at the Austin Film Festival for our Live Show and Three Page Challenge.
- If you encounter a late night submission packet that seems iffy, you can email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Daley Haggar’s “Why I’m Snitching on Hollywood Sexism” for Lenny Letter.
- Dara Resnik and Gillian Boher’s “Don’t be so sure Harvey Weinstein is going away for good” for The Washington Post.
- Here is some information about Harvey and Bob Weinstein who founded Miramax and The Weinstein Company, for reference.
- “Harvey Weinstein Paid Off Sexual Harassment Accusers for Decades” by Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey for The New York Times, and Harvey Weinstein’s official response.
- “From Aggressive Overtures to Sexual Assault: Harvey Weinstein’s Accusers Tell Their Stories” by Ronan Farrow for The New Yorker.
- “Harvey Weinstein Is Fired After Sexual Harassment Reports” by Megan Twohey for the New York Times.
- “‘Beautiful Girls’ Scribe Scott Rosenberg On A Complicated Legacy With Harvey Weinstein”
- The case of Lyle v. Warner Brothers (aka the Friends lawsuit) and the Supreme Court’s dismissal
- The last Disneyland Half Marathon (at least for a while)!
- The CIA’s twitter account (feat. dogs).
- Rihanna can’t wink.
- And Mariah Carey doesn’t dance.
- The Scriptnotes Listeners’ Guide!
- The USB drives!
- Daley Haggar on Twitter
- Dara Resnik on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Find past episodes
- Outro by Matthew Chilleli (send us yours!)
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 10-31-17: The transcript of this episode can be found here.