John and Craig look at the non-screenplay things screenwriters end up writing, most notably outlines and treatments. We discuss some of the ones we’ve written (with examples), and offer advice on writing your own.
Also, how do you deal with sudden success? And what should a writer-director say when talking to a Very Famous Actress about starring in his movie?
Our live conversation with Lawrence Kasdan is this Saturday! Find out more about the all-day Craft Day featuring many previous (and future) Scriptnotes guests in the links below.
- Get tickets now for the 2016 WGFestival, featuring John and Craig’s interview with Lawrence Kasdan, and more
- BuzzFeed talks to Karyn Kusama
- Overnight on Wikipedia, IMDb and Amazon
- ID Theft treatment
- Original Big Fish outline
- Big Fish sequence outline
- Short Circuit treatment
- D.C. pitch
- D.C. pilot outline
- Alaska write-up
- Ops write-up
- Ops Iraq outline
- @TomSchnauz on Twitter
- Watch the performances from MCC’s Miscast 2016
- Tesla Model 3
- Outro by Rajesh Naroth (send us yours!)
UPDATE 4-14-16: The transcript of this episode can be found here.