This archived episode of Scriptnotes is available to Scriptnotes Premium subscribers only. Sign up or Log in at http://scriptnotes.net
Dana Fox joins John and Craig to discuss her role as both screenwriter and producer of How to Be Single. Like Simon Kinberg and Chris Morgan, Dana is one of a handful of feature writers taking responsibility for delivering not just the script, but the finished movie.
We look at how and why she made the transition, and the differences between a feature writer-producer and a TV showrunner. We also discuss the challenges Dana faced in this role, from studio politics to pregnancy, and whether she’d do it again.
Our postponed interview with screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan is now scheduled as part of a WGF/Nicholls event. Details in the link below.
- Dana Fox on Wikipedia, IMDb and Twitter
- DSM-III-R and DSM-5 on Wikipedia
- The New York Times on The Fempire
- How to Be Single is in theaters now
- Modern Farmer on Cow Tipping: Fake or Really Fake?
- farmersonly.com, and their YouTube page
- Spectra S1 breast pump, and on Amazon
- The Katering Show is fantastic
- The Great British Bake Off
- Sky Guide
- Get tickets now to see John and Craig interview Lawrence Kasdan as part of WGFestival 2016
- USB drives with the first 200 Scriptnotes are available now at the John August Store
- Outro by Adam Lastname (send us yours!)
UPDATE 2-26-16: The transcript of this episode can be found here.