This archived episode of Scriptnotes is available to Scriptnotes Premium subscribers only. Sign up or Log in at http://scriptnotes.net
John and Craig take an in-depth look at two scenes in Damien Chazelle’s WHIPLASH to see how conflicts were structured — and what changed from script to shooting.
In follow-up, we discuss the myth vs. reality of Zola, and what we mean by a character having agency.
We’re having a live holiday show in Los Angeles! It’s December 9th in Hollywood, with special guests Riki Lindhome, Natasha Leggero and Malcolm Spellman. Tickets will sell out, so be sure to click the links below.
- Buy your tickets now for the 2015 Scriptnotes Holiday Show on December 9th with guests Riki Lindhome, Natasha Leggero and Malcolm Spellman
- The true story behind ‘Zola,’ the epic Twitter story too crazy to be real
- Whiplash on Wikipedia
- Whiplash, family dinner scene, and the PDF
- Whiplash, jazz club scene, Script vs Screen, and the PDF
- Sunnybrook doctor first to perform blood-brain barrier procedure using focused ultrasound waves
- Outro by Kim Atle (send us yours!)
UPDATE 11-20-15: The transcript of this episode can be found here.