John and Craig welcome special guests Malcolm Spellman, Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome and Alan Yang to the third annual Scriptnotes Holiday show, recorded live on December 9th, 2015 in Hollywood.
Malcolm Spellman is a producer on EMPIRE, and one of our most popular Scriptnotes guests ever. He also set a new record for swearing.
Riki Lindhome and Natasha Leggero are the co-creators and stars of ANOTHER PERIOD on Comedy Central. We discuss pitching their show off a presentation video, and the challenge of producing a show with a huge cast of very busy comedy stars.
Alan Yang is the co-creator (with Aziz Ansari) of MASTER OF NONE on Netflix. We discuss how the show came to be, and the challenge of being “the (blank) guy” on a writing staff.
Huge thanks to our amazing audience, and the Writers Guild Foundation for organizing the event.
Our next live show is January 25, with special guests Lawrence Kasdan (screenwriter of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS) and actor-writer-director Jason Bateman. The night is a benefit for Hollywood Heart. (Link below.)
- Malcolm Spellman on IMDb and Twitter, and Scriptnotes, 185
- Natasha Leggero on IMDb and Twitter
- Riki Lindhome on IMDb and Twitter
- Another Period on Comedy Central
- Alan Yang on IMDb and Twitter
- Master of None on Netflix
- Harvard Lampoon, and on Wikipedia
- KRUPS F23070 Egg Cooker
- Postmates will deliver you stuff
- AlanMYang on Instagram
- Kitchen Hacks: How Clever Cooks Get Things Done
- Cook’s Illustrated
- Hamilton, the Original Broadway Cast Recording on iTunes and on Amazon
- Scriptnotes, Bonus: Straight Outta Compton
- Get your tickets now for Scriptnotes, Live on January 25 with Jason Bateman and Lawrence Kasdan, a benefit for Hollywood HEART
- Scriptnotes, 73: Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Email us or tweet John or Craig for advice on things that have nothing to do with screenwriting
- Thanks to the Writers Guild Foundation and the Los Angeles Film School for hosting us
- Intro/Outro by Matthew Chilelli (send us yours!)
You can download the episode here: AAC | mp3.
UPDATE 12-18-15: The transcript of this episode can be found here.