John and Craig talk romantic comedies with screenwriter Tess Morris, whose film Man Up is unapologetically part of the genre.
We discuss what distinguishes rom-coms from other comedies, and why they get singled out for disdain and death-of articles.
Also this week: Amazon Storywriter, overused dicks, and follow-up on Whiplash.
- Buy your tickets now for the 2015 Scriptnotes Holiday Show on December 9th with guests Riki Lindhome, Natasha Leggero and Malcolm Spellman
- Jon Bon Jovi on Wikipedia
- Amazon Storywriter and Fountain
- Scriptnotes, 224: Whiplash, on paper and on screen
- Tess Morris on IMDb and Twitter, and Man Up on Wikipedia and Rotten Tomatoes
- Why Are Romantic Comedies So Bad? by Christopher Orr
- CinemaBlend’s 30 Best Romantic Comedies Of All-Time
- The New Yorker on Nick Bostrom
- Wait But Why on The Fermi Paradox
- Fallout 4, and on Amazon
- The Vista Theatre
- Outro by Jon Spurney (send us yours!)
UPDATE 11-27-15: The transcript of this episode can be found here.