John and guest host Susannah Grant sit down with Richard Kelly, Cary Fukunaga, Peter Gould, Dan Sterling and Mike Birbiglia to discuss the role of a writer/director, the wonder of television, and the purpose of table reads.
Then it’s questions from the audience: How do you know you’ve found your third act? How does one become confident? Does impostor syndrome ever go away?
This episode was recorded live at St. David’s Episcopal Church as a certified blasphemy-free part of the 2014 Austin Film Festival.
- The Austin Film Festival
- Susannah Grant on IMDb, and Scriptnotes episodes 144 and 145
- John’s picture of St. David’s Episcopal Church
- Help is on the way at writeremergency.com
- Richard Kelly on IMDb, Twitter, and Scriptnotes 118, 123 and 124
- Cary Fukunaga on IMDb
- Peter Gould on IMDb and Twitter
- Dan Sterling on IMDb and Twitter
- Mike Birbiglia’s site, and on IMDb, Twitter and Scriptnotes episode 121
- Charlie Kaufman’s BAFTA speech, and Scriptnotes episode 18
- Birdman is in theaters now
- Serial is a new podcast from the creators of This American Life
- Outro by Scriptnotes listener Peter Rinaldi (send us yours!)
You can download the episode here: AAC | mp3.
UPDATE 11-4-14: The transcript of this episode can be found here.