John and Craig talk about perspective — both within a scene and the overall story. It’s not always obvious to the reader which characters are in the driver’s seat, so it falls on the screenwriter to make that clear.
We have four new Three Page Challenges this week, with genres ranging from horror to sex comedy. John begs you to never try to establish a character’s backstory by featuring them on a magazine cover.
All this, plus an update on John’s experience writing his most recent script entirely in Fountain, in episode 67 of Scriptnotes.
- Hanukkah on Wikipedia
- Christmas on Wikipedia
- Krishna on Wikipedia
- Fountain is a plain text markup language for screenwriting
- Take Fountain on Glassboard
- Three pages by Hunter M. Altman
- Three pages by Kevin Wolfe & Adam DeKraker
- Three pages by Scott Gorsuch
- Three pages by Shawn Morrison
- Gizmodo on Scanadu
- Soulver helps you solve on iOS and OSX
- INTRO: Crystal Light commercial
- OUTRO: Three Is a Magic Number by Bob Dorough on iTunes
You can download the episode here: AAC.
UPDATE 12-14-12: The transcript of this episode can be found here.