This archived episode of Scriptnotes is available to Scriptnotes Premium subscribers only. Sign up or Log in at http://scriptnotes.net
John and Craig tackle the greatest controversy in screenwriting: how many spaces to put after the period. From there, it’s follow-up on the Final Draft episode, including some behind-the-scene details.
Why is it often better to write in public spaces? How do you keep your hero in the driver’s seat? What do you do if you’re dating an emotional vampire? We have some answers.
We also have annoyances: the $1 billion lawsuit against Tom Cruise, similar hijinks with The New Girl, and Time Tailor.
The Big Fish cast album is available on iTunes and Amazon. A few last Scriptnotes t-shirts are available on the John August Store.
- Slate on why you should never, ever use two spaces after a period
- John’s 2005 blog post on fixing double-spaces after periods
- Scriptnotes, Episode 65, in which John and Craig discuss their period-space preferences
- Courier Prime
- Scriptnotes, Episode 129: The One with the Guys from Final Draft
- Kent Tessman’s Notes on Scriptnotes blog post
- How QuarkXPress became a mere afterthought in publishing
- Heather Havrilesky’s Ask Polly: I Moved To A New City To Be With An Emotional Vampire on The Awl
- The AV Club on Tom Cruise being sued for one billion dollars
- THR on The New Girl lawsuit
- Time Tailor
- SuperCook.com tells you recipes to cook with what you have on hand
- One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories by B. J. Novak
- B.J. on the Nerdist Podcast
- The Big Fish cast album on iTunes and Amazon
- We have a few shirts left in The John August Store
- Outro by Scriptnotes listener Matthew Chilelli
UPDATE 2-17-14: The transcript of this episode can be found here.