John and Craig get crafty! They examine how sentence structure and word choice translate to camera direction, allowing writers to direct the reader’s eye. They offer advice on how to think about the visual and aural idea behind each noun and verb, and why the screenwriter’s task is unique.
We also discuss Disney’s leadership changes, follow up on Craig’s outline process, and answer listener questions on montages and villainizing ordinary citizens.
In our most contentious bonus segment yet, sixteen sweet treats battle it out in the first-ever Scriptnotes dessert bracket.
- Bob Iger Back As Disney CEO, Bob Chapek Out on Deadline
- Scriptnotes, Episode 543: 20 Questions with John
- David Wappel’s Twitter Thread on Anchoring Nouns
- Learn more and support the Inevitable Foundation here
- Woobles Crochet Kit, check out John’s craft here
- AKG K702 Headphones
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Check out the Inneresting Newsletter
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Matthew Jordan (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 12-15-22 The transcript for this episode can be found here.