John invites writer/producer/actor Ashley Nicole Black (Ted Lasso, Black Lady Sketch Show) to discuss fandoms, cultural appropriation and boycotts over abortion access.
They also answer simpler listener questions: What do TV producer titles really mean? When should you attach a showrunner? And what happens when you disagree with your manager?
In our bonus segment for premium members, they talk parties! John and Ashley discuss the new norms for hosting people post-pandemic.
- Our first post-pandemic live show on October 19 is sold out, but you can still get tickets to the livestream here!
- WGA West Elections
- Coalition Of 1,425 Showrunners & Directors Raises $2.5M To Help Women Gain Access To Abortions While Calling On Studios To Step Up on Deadline
- Scriptnotes Episode 533, We See and We Hear Transcript
- Find out more about Nisi Shawl and Cynthia Ward’s Writing the Other book and workshops
- Hiromi Goto’s 6 Questions on cultural appropriation
- Black Lady Sketch Show – Basic Ball
- Critics and Fans Have Never Disagreed More About Movies by Lucas Shaw for Bloomberg
- Mack’s AquaBlock Swimming Earplugs
- Thigh Society
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Check out the Inneresting Newsletter
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- Ashley Nicole Black on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Bryan C. Sanchez (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 9-27-22 The transcript for this story can be found here.