John and Craig welcome writer and performer Ashley Nicole Black (Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, A Black Lady Sketch Show) to discuss comedy and variety shows — how they’re written and how to get a job writing them.
We also talk about studio diversity programs, why additional training can send the wrong message, and how to speak up in a writers room. Then we answer listener questions on idea ownership, writing police stories, and follow up on digital writer’s rooms.
In our bonus segment for premium members, we talk about fireworks.
- Ashley Nicole Black on Twitter
- Ashley’s Twitter Thread on Diversity Programs
- Ashley on Drunk History on Nichelle Nichols
- NPR’s reading of the Emanicipation Proclamation
- The Loveland Foundation
- Mike Birbiglia’s Working it Out
- The New One
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Eric Pearson (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 7-3-2020 The transcript for this episode can now be found here.