John welcomes back writer/performer Ashley Nicole Black (A Black Lady Sketch Show, Ted Lasso, The Amber Ruffin Show) to prove good things come in twos. They dive into her two Emmy nominations, joining a show in its second season, and the opportunities of both writing and acting in a series.
We follow up on the WGA East elections and ghosting producers. We also answer listener questions on problematic female character intros and writing sports scenes.
In our bonus segment we take a look at TV’s white guy problem.
- The Double-Nominated Emmy Contender Taking Over TV Comedy
- Industry News: Fran Drescher, Leads SAG-AFTRA, IATSE Contract Negotiation, WGA East Elections
- New Teeth by Simon Rich on Amazon or Bookshop
- Gifted short story by Simon Rich
- Highland 2 Student License
- A is For
- Estelle Colored Glass
- TV’s White Guys are in Crisis by Kathryn Vanarendonk
- My Abortion Story on John’s blog
- Ashley Nicole Black on Twitter
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Zach Lo (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 9-15-21 The transcript for this episode can be found here.