John welcomes writer/showrunner Patrick Somerville to explore the development process for Station Eleven. From finding the source material, organizing the writers room, to writing production drafts, they walk through the steps of creating a limited series.
Along the way, Patrick explains how he transitioned careers from novelist to television writer, and advises a listener on prepping for staffing meetings.
In our bonus segment for premium members, John and Patrick discuss creating a pandemic show during a pandemic.
- Follow along with the Station Eleven pilot discussion! Read all of the Station Eleven scripts here.
- Station Eleven the series on HBO
- Station Eleven the book by Emily St. John Mandel
- Patrick Somerville on Twitter
- All about Love: New Visions by bell hooks
- Time in Ethiopia
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Pedro Aguilera (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.