John welcomes writer/producer/creator Jen Statsky to discuss getting started writing comedy, from late night to The Onion to The Good Place. Then it’s a deep dive on the Hacks pilot, looking at how jokes change from the page to the edit.
We follow up on the best way to get fired, the WGA pilot guide, and answer listener questions on working in comedy.
Finally in our bonus segment for premium members, John and Jen take a look at artistry and ownership through the latest development in the Cat Person saga.
- WGA Pilot Guide
- Hacks on HBO check out the pilot script here.
- Jen Statsky on Twitter
- You Are Bi Enough by Zachary Zane for NYT
- Caffeine Free Diet Cola syrup by SodaStream
- I Hate Suzie on HBO Max
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Peter Hoopes (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 7-20-21 The transcript for this episode can now be found here.