John and Craig welcome back writing partners Phil Hay and Matt Manfredi (The Invitation, Ride Along, The Mysterious Benedict Society) to discuss their transition from film to television. They chat about structuring a full season, adapting a novel, and the hierarchy of power in TV.
We follow up on MoviePass, take a look at a monster showrunner, and enlist Phil and Matt to answer our backlog of questions on writing partners.
In our bonus segment for premium members, John asks the guys how they shot during the pandemic and what practices are worth continuing.
- MoviePass for the NYT by Daniel Victor
- Blitzcalling: Kevin Roose for NY Times on “The Millennial Lifestyle Subsidy”
- The Mysterious Benedict Society
- Mythic Quest, check out Backstory! Season 2, Episode 6 for a special guest star!
- Why Netflix Cancels Shows
- WGA Writer’s Collaboration Agreement
- 50 Years of Text Games
- Miso Black Cod
- Liberty Puzzles
- Justine Seigal and Baseball for All
- An Invitation to the Invitation
- Phil Hay on Twitter
- Matt Manfredi on Twitter
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Ryan Riley (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 5-20-21 The transcript for this episode can now be found here.