Phil Hay and Matt Manfredi join us to talk about their new movie The Invitation, and what’s it’s like to go from writing tentpole action films (like Clash of the Titans) to comedies (like Ride Along) to chamber-drama thrillers.
While we have them with us, we talk about the new term “requel” — which is not quite a reboot, not quite a sequel. Is it really a new sub-genre or just a helpful way of explaining things to studio execs?
Also, thanks to everyone who helped us out by answering our three-question poll. We have a better sense of who is using the premium feed, and how we can offer alternatives for listeners.
- Subscribe to the premium feed at scriptnotes.net
- Phil Hay on IMDb, Wikipedia and Twitter
- Matt Manfredi on IMDb, Wikipedia and Twitter
- The Invitation, on Rotten Tomatoes and the Arclight Q+As
- Pamela McClintock on “requels”
- The blood test that could change the way we diagnose concussions
- William Powers on The Difficult, Delicate Untangling of Our Parents’ Financial Lives
- Vinyl Me, Please
- Ideal Cap Company
- Last Exit To Nowhere
- Outro by Adam Lastname (send us yours!)
UPDATE 4-8-16: The transcript of this episode can be found here.