John invites some favorite guests on to answer a single question about their current projects. Matt Manfredi and Phil Hay explain how they moved the second season of The Mysterious Benedict Society from Canada to California. Aline Brosh McKenna talks about the challenges of directing a feature versus running a TV series. Data scientist Stephen Follows makes his best pitch for film school (and college in general).
But first, John chats with Liz Hsiao Lan Alper about this year’s #PayUpHollywood survey, and recaps the IATSE deal and the WGA’s Additional Literary Material vote.
In our bonus segment for premium members, Stephen talks through how he’d measure the value of screenwriting competitions in both hard and soft metrics.
- PayUpHollywood Survey
- WGA Members Approve Change In Movie Credits To Better Reflect All Writers’ Contributions
- Hollywood crew union narrowly ratifies its contracts with studios.
- ‘Promised Land’ & ‘Mysterious Benedict Society’ Score Tax Credits For Moving To California
- I Will Not Read Your F*%!ing Script
- Shrubs Drink Recipe and Liz’s favorite Ikea Pine Needle Tea
- Yellow Jackets
- I Think You Should Leave
- Goldbelly Food Delivery
- Series Heat
- Liz Hsiao Lan Alper on Twitter
- Matt Manfredi on Twitter
- Phil Hay on Twitter
- Aline Brosh McKenna on Twitter
- Stephen Follows on Twitter and his website
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Henry Adler (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 12-14-21 The transcript for this episode can be found here.