John and Craig check character blindspots, looking at how ‘over-security’ drives characters to humor and heartbreak. We also discuss natural structure: how certain events (weddings, sports, school) can create narrative scaffolding.
The death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of Rust has the industry talking about safety. Craig explains the protocols for guns on sets, while John urges decision-makers not to overfocus on the blanks-versus-vfx debate. More crew members die driving home from sets than on them.
In our bonus segment for premium members, we discuss work-life balance and the myths of time management.
- Rust Movie Set Shooting
- Netflix to Change How It Measures a Title’s Viewers Post-‘Squid Game’
- There Is No Such Thing as Bragging Too Much About a Kidney Donation
- Episode 480, The Wedding Episode
- The Premise by BJ Novak
- College Degrees are Overrated
- What is the Financial Value of my Degree?
- Kids These Days: The Making of Millennials by Malcolm Harris (not the Kids are Alright!)
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Gift a Scriptnotes Subscription or treat yourself to a premium subscription!
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Andrew Ryan (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 11-8-21 The transcript for this episode can now be found here.