John and Craig talk about the words we use when referring to people or groups of people — and why those words keep changing. Nic Novicki of the Easterseals Disability Film Challenge joins us to discuss writing inclusive storylines and characters.
We also discuss single-use characters, WGA elections, and follow up on listener questions.
In our bonus segment for premium members, we tackle the question: “If the standards for breaking into the screenwriting industry are so high, why are so many BAD movies made?”
- Range Media
- WGA Elections
- Easterseals Disability Film Challenge
- Euphemisms are like underwear: best changed frequently
- One Hit Kill Game
- DM’s Guide to Roll 20
- Get Ready for a Feeding Frenzy Over the NRA’s Corpse
- Whale Fall
- Champagne Bottle Stopper
- Clint Ford Twitter Thread
- Get a Scriptnotes T-shirt!
- Nic Novicki on Twitter
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Michael Karman (send us yours!)
- Scriptnotes is produced by Megana Rao and edited by Matthew Chilelli.
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 9-10-20 The transcript for this episode can now be found here.