John and Craig discuss whether and how heroes can understand themselves. Is self-awareness an intrinsic aspect of a character, or something they achieve over the course of the story? Both heroes and villains are often wrestling with their identity. We look at why it’s more difficult (and sometimes more rewarding) to explore these issues in screenwriting than prose fiction.
Then it’s time for another round of the Three Page Challenge, followed by listener questions about meddling actors and producers.
Thanks to everyone who submitted to the Three Page Challenge, especially our participants: Edith Rodriguez, Carolyn Getches, Hilary C. Gish, and Christine Hoang!
- John and Craig’s panel on Addiction & Mental Health organized by Hollywood, Health & Society Wed, July 31, 2019, 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM PDT at SAG. Limited tickets, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Research Methods for Writers with Chernobyl’s Craig Mazin Wednesday, July 17, 2019 @ 7:00 PM
- Trumpcast Is Trump a Disease? A Medical Perspective
- Edith Rodriguez, The Days Ahead
- Carolyn Getches & Hilary C. Gish Formerly Fat Housewife
- Christine Hoang Fly Girl
- Bo Burnham’s Eighth Grade Script
- ‘Versing’ Verse as a Verb
- Screen Cleaner
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Outro by Mackey Landy (send us yours!)
Email us at email@example.com
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 7-19-19 The transcript for this episode can be found here.