John and Craig evaluate another set of exceptional news stories for their fitness for the big screen in this week’s How Would This Be a Movie?
We consider stories about counterfeit debt collectors, the worst roommate ever (beside’s Craig college roommate), the girl who posed as a grown man online and began exhibiting genuine symptoms of toxic masculinity, a family that fights to preserve their daughter after she’s been declared brain dead, and a cruise ship that descends into anarchy.
We also follow up on the mystery of MoviePass with a listener that has seen a new film each day for months. Did we judge this model too quickly?
- Applications are being accepted for the Sundance Episodic Lab
- Millions Are Hounded for Debt They Don’t Owe. One Victim Fought Back, With a Vengeance by Zeke Faux for Bloomberg
- Worst Roommate Ever by William Brennan for New York Magazine
- What Does It Mean to Die? by Rachel Aviv for the New Yorker. John also mentioned this story about Jon-Erik Hexum by Gareth Davies for the Daily Mail.
- Teen Girl Posed For 8 Years As Married Man To Write About Baseball And Harass Women by Lindsey Adler for Deadspin
- A Carnival cruise in the South Pacific descended into violent anarchy by Avi Selk for The Washington Post
- Bridge Constructor Portal
- A Very Fatal Murder
- The Good Place on NBC.
- The Scriptnotes Listeners’ Guide!
- The USB drives!
- John August on Twitter
- Craig Mazin on Twitter
- John on Instagram
- Find past episodes
- Outro by Rajesh Naroth (send us yours!)
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the episode here.
UPDATE 3-6-18: The transcript of this episode can be found here.