This archived episode of Scriptnotes is available to Scriptnotes Premium subscribers only. Sign up or Log in at http://scriptnotes.net
Canadian screenwriter Ryan Knighton joins John and Craig to discuss how you sustain a career writing for Hollywood studios while living a flight away. Knighton’s first screenplay was the adaptation of his memoir about going blind. He’s since written for several studios, including a new project for Ridley Scott.
We also talk about general meetings, pitching, adapting true stories, and the Sundance screenwriting lab.
- Ryan Knighton, and on Twitter, Wikipedia, This American Life, The Moth and Reading Aloud with Nate Corddry
- Ryan’s books Cockeyed and Swing in the Hollow on Amazon
- What is a treatment? on screenwriting.io
- Ryan side-by-side with Chris O’Dowd
- The For Dummies series and Google AdWords for Dummies
- Lovage on Wikipedia
- Outro by Scriptnotes editor Matthew Chilelli (send us yours!)
UPDATE 5-4-15: The transcript of this episode can be found here.